Behind the Shoji, the Portland Japanese Garden’s annual show and sale of Japanese-inspired art and crafts is coming in June. Applications are being accepted to supply artwork for the show. All proceeds of the sale benefit the Japanese Garden.
Artwork submitted for consideration must express an awareness of Japanese aesthetics. We are seeking work that connects with the design and underlying concepts of the Garden itself including; simplicity, clean lines and respect for nature. All types of media are eligible but may include sculpture, prints and paintings, ceramics, wearables, furniture, paper products and more. To learn more about the Garden please visit japanesegarden.com.
HOW TO APPLY
Email the following materials to Lauren Blair, Retail Assistant Manager and Buying Support at firstname.lastname@example.org and use “2017 Shoji Submission” as your email subject. Application must be received by March 13, 2017.
Name, Mailing address, Phone and Email, Website (if applicable)
- Your artist bio/statement
Describe your artwork or practice and how it relates to a Japanese aesthetic and the Garden. This should be 150 words or less.
- Five images that best represent a range of proposed work
Image files must be JPG or JPEG format, with a resolution of approximately 72 dpiPlease title filenames numerically with your last name (for example: “1_Smith”)
Image files must be attached to your email. Please do not embed into the body of your email
- Numbered image list that corresponds to your attached images The image list should include:
Number Artwork Title Medium/Materials Date Size Cost
Cost is your price before the Garden applies a markup.
- Artists who are selected will be notified by April 3, 2017. Artwork proposed in application must be delivered to the Garden on June 14th, 2017. Further information will be provided after artists are selected.
- All accepted artwork is returnable to artist. Artwork is sold at a 50/50 commission rate. Your cost will be doubled to determine retail sale price.
- The Garden may use your images, or photograph your artwork, for use in advertising and promotion.
- The Garden Gift Store reserves the right to choose, return or display artwork based on the needs of the sale.
- Selected artists are encouraged to be available at least one weekend-day to give an on-site demonstration.